Bachmann Turner Overdrive

Started by Ron Phillipchuk, March 31, 2017, 10:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Phillipchuk

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]

1= Hey You
2= "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet"

Bachman–Turner Overdrive is a Canadian rock group from Winnipeg, Manitoba, that had a series of hit albums and singles in the 1970s, selling over 7 million albums in that decade alone. Their 1970s catalogue included five Top 40 albums and six US Top 40 singles (ten in Canada). The band has sold nearly 30 million albums worldwide, and has fans affectionately known as "gearheads"  (derived from the band's gear-shaped logo). Many of their songs, including "Let It Ride", "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet", "Takin' Care of Business", "Hey You" and "Roll On Down the Highway", still receive play on classic-rock stations.

The original lineup consisted of Randy Bachman (lead guitar, lead vocals), Fred Turner (bass guitar, lead vocals), Tim Bachman (guitar, vocals) and Robbie Bachman (drums). This lineup released two albums in 1973. The second and most commercially successful lineup featured Blair Thornton (lead guitar) in place of Tim Bachman. This lineup released four albums between 1974 and 1977, including two that reached the Top 5 in the US pop charts, as well as the band's only US #1 single ("You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet"). Subsequent lineups enjoyed only moderate success.

After the band went into a hiatus in 2005, Randy Bachman and Fred Turner reunited in 2009 to tour and collaborate on a new album. In 2010, they played the halftime show at the Grey Cup in Edmonton and continue to tour as of summer 2014.
On March 29, 2014, the classic Not Fragile line-up reunited for the first time since 1991 to mark Bachman–Turner Overdrive's induction into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame, and participated in performing in a tribute version of "Takin' Care of Business".
  •  

montage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7a5xzB6Puw

Hey You" is a song written by Randy Bachman, and was first recorded by Canadian rock group Bachman–Turner Overdrive (BTO) for their 1975 album Four Wheel Drive. The lead vocal is provided by Randy Bachman. It was the first and more successful of two singles issued from the LP, the second being "Quick Change Artist", which was a relative commercial failure. "Hey You" was the second BTO single to hit number 1 on the Canadian RPM chart, following "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet". It held the top position on the RPM chart for two weeks in June 1975. The song peaked at number 21 on the US Billboard Hot 100 on July 5, 1975.
Rumors circulated that Randy Bachman directed the lyrics of "Hey You" at former bandmate Burton Cummings, who had publicly stated that Bachman would never make it in the music business again following his departure from The Guess Who. Randy confirmed the rumors in interviews years later, stating: "I deserved to gloat a bit after all the mud Burton had slung at me."
  •  

montage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cia_v4vxfE

This is a song i love to musch wow so good

B.T.O. (BACHMAN-TURNER OVERDRIVE) LYRICS
"You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet"

I met a devil woman
She took my heart away
She said, I've had it comin' to me
But I wanted it that way
I think that any love is good lovin'
So I took what I could get, mmh
Oooh, oooh she looked at me with big brown eyes

And said,
You ain't seen nothin' yet
B-b-b-baby, you just ain't seen n-n-nothin' yet
Here's something that you never gonna forget

"Nothin' yet
You ain't been around
That's what they told me"

And now I'm feelin' better
'Cause I found out for sure
She took me to her doctor
And he told me of a cure
He said that any love is good love
So I took what I could get
Yes, I took what I could get
And then she looked at me with them big brown eyes

And said,
Here's something, here's something your never gonna forget
baby, you know, you know, you know you just ain't seen nothin' yet

"You need educatin'
You got to go to school"

Any love is good lovin'
So I took what I could get
Yes, I took what I could get
And then, and then, and then
She looked at me with them big brown eyes

And said,
Baby, you just ain't seen n-n-nothin' yet
Here's something, here's something
Here's something that your never gonna forget, baby
Baby, baby, baby you ain't seen n-n-nothin' yet
You ain't been around
That's what she told me
She said, "I needed educatin', go to school"
I know I ain't seen nothin' yet
I know I ain't seen nothin' yet
  •  

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmwic9kFx2c

"Takin' Care of Business" is a song written by Randy Bachman and first recorded by Canadian rock group Bachman–Turner Overdrive (BTO) for their 1973 album Bachman–Turner Overdrive II.

Randy Bachman had developed what would later become "Takin' Care of Business" while still a member of The Guess Who. His original idea was to write about a recording technician who worked on The Guess Who's recordings. This particular technician would take the 8:15 train to get to work, inspiring the lyrics "take the 8:15 into the city."

In the early arrangement for the song, which had the working title "White Collar Worker", the chorus riff and vocal melody were similar to that of The Beatles' "Paperback Writer". When Bachman first played this version for Burton Cummings, Cummings declared that he was ashamed of him and that The Guess Who would never record the song because the Beatles would sue them.

Bachman still felt like the main riff and verses were good, it was only when the song got to the chorus that everyone hated it. While BTO was still playing smaller venues in support of its first album, Bachman was driving into Vancouver, British Columbia for a gig and listening to the radio when he heard a particular DJ's (Daryl B) catch phrase "We're takin' care of business." Lead vocalist Fred Turner's voice gave out before the band's last set that night. Bachman sang some cover songs to get through the last set, and on a whim, he told the band to play the C, B-flat and F chords (a I-VII-IV progression) over and over, and he sang "White Collar Worker" with the new words "Takin' Care of Business" inserted into the chorus.

After this, he rewrote the lyrics to "White Collar Worker" with a new chorus and the title "Takin' Care of Business". Along with this he wrote a revised guitar riff, which was the I-VII-IV progression played with a shuffle. Bachman says he then handed over the lyrics to Fred Turner with the thought that Turner would sing the lead vocal. But Turner handed them back, saying Randy should sing the lead as it would give himself a needed vocal break when the band performed live.

The song was recorded by Bachman–Turner Overdrive for their second album Bachman–Turner Overdrive II. It would reach number 12 on the US Billboard Hot 100 (August 10, 1974), number 6 on the Cash Box Top 100, number 3 on the Canadian RPM charts, and become one of BTO's most enduring and well-known songs. "Takin' Care of Business" spent 20 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100, longer than any other BTO single.

The original studio version, recorded at Kaye-Smith Studios in Seattle, Washington, features prominent piano, played by Norman Durkee. Durkee, an accomplished musician who would become musical director for Bette Midler and Barry Manilow, was recording commercials in the next studio when sound engineer Buzz Richmond asked him to play on "Takin' Care of Business". With paid-by-the-hour musicians waiting, Durkee had only a few minutes to spare. Quickly conferring with Randy Bachman, he scribbled down the chords, and, without listening to the song beforehand, recorded the piano part in one take.  The fact that Durkee wrote the chords down on a pizza box may have been the source of the long-standing myth – mischievously propagated by band members – that the part had been played by a pizza deliveryman who had heard the track being played back, and then cajoled the band into giving him a chance to add piano to it.

In 2011, Bachman said it was the most licensed song in Sony Music's publishing catalogue.  It is often referred to as "the Provincial rock anthem of Manitoba."
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
MacBook Pro  32 GB  1 Terabyte SSD
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: luisil

admin

Midi - Bachmann Turner Overdrive

99331_09 - Looking Out For Number One
Bachman Turner Overdrive - Taking Care Of Business
BTO - American Woman
BTO - Laughing
BTO - Let It Ride
BTO - No Sugar Tonight
BTO - No Time
BTO - Takin' Care Of Business
BTO - These Eyes
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
  •  

admin

BTO - You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet

ludo willems

•