The Rokes

Started by Geno, January 20, 2017, 07:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geno

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]

The Rokes were an English band that has achieved success in Italy, selling more than 5 million records, 17 individual 45 rpm, 33 rpm and 5 albums contending Equipe 84 the title of the main band of the beat Italian.

The group formed in England in 1960 under the name Shel Carson Combo, with Shapiro on vocals and guitar, bass Posner, Shepstone on drums and Vic Briggs (who has never been a member of Rokes) on lead guitar, later replaced by Johnny Charlton. Shapiro is the only one with experience of some importance (Gene Vincent had accompanied in a series of European tours) and soon became the leader of the group. Shepstone (descendant on his mother's from the great English poet John Keats) and Shapiro were schoolmates, and they had played together in student groups.

After a series of tours in England and Scotland, and after having exhibited permanently at the famous club in Carnaby Street The Roaring Twenties, in the autumn of 1962 also Shel Carson Combo (like the Beatles until a few months before) go to sound for several months in Hamburg.

The 1966-67 biennium is one in which The Rokes, now referred to as "Italian Beatles", reach the pinnacle of success, especially thanks to two singles: What fault have we (Italian version of Cheryl's Going Home by Bob Lind, with text Italian Mogol), which is in second place in the standings at the historic Cantagiro of 1966 and won the first place in the ranking of sales of 45 rpm records, and the rain is going, (cover of Remember the rain by Bob Lind, who It is echoed by Caterina Caselli), which comes first in the standings. The back, cry with me, is translated into English by The Grass Roots, and with the title of Live for Today entered the charts in the United States.
  •  

Geno

C'è una strana espressione ( nei tuoi occhi )  - The Rokes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XzOXe56v3s

The great fame, however, is with the song There's a strange look in your eyes, Italian version of When You Walk in the Room, written by US singer-songwriter Jackie DeShannon but brought to success by Searchers (also recorded in the same period by New Dada and Gianni Morandi with another text with the title of my voice), which enters in the top positions of the standings, allowing them to record their first album.
  •  

Geno

E' la pioggia che và - The Rokes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6I1_FFDhak

It is the rain that goes / As long as there is music I keep myself up are the two tracks contained in a single 45 Rokes released in October 1966.

It is the rain that goes, recorded on the A side of the record, it is the song with which the Rokes promised themselves to repeat the success of the previous single, which is our fault. Also for this he was again chosen to publish a cover of a song by the American singer-songwriter Bob Lind, Remember The Rain, with the text rewritten by Mogol following the strand of the song "protest" in vogue in those years. As long as there is music I keep myself up, on the B side, it is signed by Franco Migliacci, Sergio Modugno and Shel Shapiro.

The album achieved a great sales success reaching the first position in the Hit Parade and the 9th place overall for 1966, continuing to sell the following year
  •