Culture Club

Started by admin, April 19, 2017, 10:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]

Culture Club are an English band that was formed in 1981. The band comprised Boy George (lead vocals), Roy Hay (guitar and keyboards), Mikey Craig (bass guitar) and Jon Moss (drums and percussion). They are considered one of the most representative and influential groups of the 1980s.  Culture Club sold more than 50 million records worldwide,  including 7 million records awards RIAA certificate in the United States.

The band had several international hits with songs such as "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me", "Time (Clock of the Heart)", "Church of the Poison Mind", "Karma Chameleon", "Victims", "It's a Miracle", "The War Song", "Move Away", and "I Just Wanna Be Loved". Boy George's androgynous style of dressing caught the attention of the public and the media. The group, supporters of the synth pop genre, made numerous forays into reggae and showed a strong propensity for the subgenre of ballads. Their second album, Colour by Numbers, sold more than 10 million copies worldwide. It appeared on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 100 Best Albums of the 1980s and is also included in the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die. Ten of their singles reached the US Top 40, where they are associated with the Second British Invasion of British new wave groups that became popular in the US due to the cable music channel MTV. Culture Club's music combines British new wave and American soul with Jamaican reggae and also other styles such as calypso, salsa and country.

In 1984, Culture Club won Brit Awards for Best British Group, Best British Single ("Karma Chameleon"), and the Grammy Award for Best New Artist. They were nominated the same year for the Grammy Award for Pop Vocal by Group or Duo but the English rock band The Police won the award. The band were also nominated for a Canadian Juno Award for International Album of the Year. In January 1985, Culture Club were nominated for an American Music Award for Favorite Pop/Rock Band/Duo/Group Video Artist, and in September 1985, they were nominated for two MTV Video Music Awards for Best Special Effects and Best Art Direction for their video "It's a Miracle".

In 1987, they received another nomination for an American Music Award for Favorite Pop/Rock Band/Duo/Group Video Artist[7] In the UK they amassed twelve Top 40 hit singles between 1982 and 1999, including the number ones "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me" and "Karma Chameleon", the latter being the biggest selling single of 1983, and topped the US Billboard Hot 100 in 1984. "Time (Clock of the Heart)" is included on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's list of 500 songs that shaped rock and roll.
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
MacBook Pro  32 GB  1 Terabyte SSD
  •  

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5dEjaJ6Mrw

"The Crying Game" is a song written and composed by Geoff Stephens. It was first released by Dave Berry in July 1964.

It reached #5 on the UK Singles Chart. Session guitarist Big Jim Sullivan played lead guitar on Berry's version of the song, and Jimmy Page supported.
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nXGPZaTKik

"Do You Really Want to Hurt Me" is a song written and recorded by the British new wave band Culture Club. Released as a single in September 1982 from the group's platinum-selling debut album Kissing to Be Clever, it was the band's first UK #1 hit. In the United States, the single was released in November 1982 and also became a huge hit, reaching #2 for three weeks.

"Do You Really Want to Hurt Me" was the third single released in Europe by Culture Club and their debut release in the United States and Canada. The song was picked up by BBC Radio 2 and became a UK #1 single for three weeks in October 1982. The song entered the American Pop chart the week ending December 4, 1982. It hit #1 in Cash Box magazine and held at #2 for three weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in March and April 1983 (kept from the #1 spot by Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean"). The single achieved sales of 900,000 US copies and also hit #1 in Canada. It was also number one in Australia.

This was Culture Club's first success, after their first two releases, "White Boy" and "I'm Afraid of Me" charted in the UK at #114 and #100 respectively. According to Boy George, it was their last chance to get an album deal.

The song rose rapidly in the UK charts after the group's first appearance on Top of the Pops, which resulted in George's androgynous style of dress and sexual ambiguity making newspaper headlines. The group were only asked to appear on Top of the Pops the night before the show, after Shakin' Stevens pulled out.

In a retrospective review, Allmusic journalist Jose F. Promis described "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me" as "a simple masterpiece, resonating with an ache that harked back to the classic torch songs of yesteryear."

In 2007, Boy George said that the song was "not just about Culture Club's drummer Jon Moss, my boyfriend at the time. It was about all the guys I dated at that time in my life."

The B-side was a dub version featuring Pappa Weasel in many countries and "You Know I'm Not Crazy" on the US release. On the 12" version of the record, the track "Love Is Cold (You Were Never No Good)" was also included.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: luisil, Jes

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9LIIXWw

"Karma Chameleon" is a song by English band Culture Club, featured on the group's 1983 album Colour by Numbers. The single spent three weeks at number one on the US Billboard Hot 100 in early 1984, becoming the group's biggest hit and only US number-one single among their many top 10 hits.

"Karma Chameleon" was also a huge global hit, hitting number one in 16 countries worldwide, and the top 10 in several more. The sleeve features work from the photographer David Levine.

In the group's home country of the United Kingdom, it became the second Culture Club single to reach the top of the UK Singles Chart (after "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me"), where it stayed for six weeks in September and October 1983, and became the UK's biggest-selling single of the year 1983.

To date, it is the 31st best-selling single of all time in the UK, selling 1.49 million copies there. It has sold over 5 million global copies, making it one of the best-selling singles of all time worldwide.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: peterm, Jes

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRM9GsfualY

"Everything I Own" is a song written by David Gates. It was originally recorded by Gates's rock band Bread for their 1972 album Baby I'm-a Want You.

Although initial listeners may have interpreted it as a song about a broken relationship, Gates would later reveal that it was a song about the passing of his father. "According to the book 1000 UK #1 Hits by Jon Kutner and Spencer Leigh, at his father's funeral, a friend took David Gates aside and said, "Your dad was so proud of what you were doing." David agreed by replying, "My success would have been so special to him as he was my greatest influence. So I decided to write and record "Everything I Own" about him. If you listen to the words, 'You sheltered me from harm, kept me warm, gave my life to me, set me free,' it says it all."

The original hit number five on the American Billboard Hot 100. Billboard ranked it as the Number 52 song for 1972. "Everything I Own" also reached number five in Canada.

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTYw1JjptMQ

"I Just Wanna Be Loved" is the first single from Culture Club's fifth album, Don't Mind If I Do. The hit single went to #4 in the UK singles charts. It became Culture Club's ninth Top 10 hit there. It was their first release after their split in 1986.

The song was released in North America, in the summer of 1998, to promote Culture Club's reformation US tour and the live album and compilation "VH1 Storytellers/Greatest Moments". It failed to generate interest on US radio. In Canada, the music video was broadcast quite often and the song was on strong rotation on many popular radio stations, the song went to #18 there.

It was released in the autumn of 1998 in the rest of the world. The comeback song arrived straight at number four on the UK singles chart, the first week where the five top positions were held by new songs. The Top 5 was completed by Cher (Believe), George Michael (Outside), U2 (The Sweetest Thing), and Alanis Morissette (Thank You).

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_5s3yRcohE

Several popular rock and new wave musicians of the 1980s contributed original music to the film's soundtrack. It was available throughout Europe but remained unreleased on compact disc in the U.S. until September 1998. Until then it was only available as an import.[citation needed]

The song "Together in Electric Dreams" by Philip Oakey and Giorgio Moroder was released as a single and became an international hit in 1984. It was later featured in their album Philip Oakey & Giorgio Moroder (1985).

Another song, "Video!" by Jeff Lynne, was also released as a single (with a non-album track, "Sooner or Later", as the B-side). Other songs released as singles worldwide are Helen Terry's "Now You're Mine" and the title track, "Electric Dreams", by PP Arnold.

The song "Love Is Love" by Culture Club was released as a single in 1985 in Canada, Europe and Japan. The single went top 3 in Canada, top 10 in Japan and was Culture Club's biggest hit in Brazil.

Organplayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nXGPZaTKik

A remake of this great song and a complete set
  •  

Organplayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9LIIXWw

A song Request Song upgrade from this great song

Greta Music and a great song style
  •  

admin

Int - CULTURE CLUB - KARMA CHAMELEON