Tremeloes

Started by admin, May 20, 2017, 02:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]

The Tremeloes are an English beat group founded in 1958 in Dagenham, Essex, and still active today.

They were formed as Brian Poole and the Tremoloes (the spelling "tremoloes" was soon changed because of a spelling mistake in an East London newspaper) influenced by Buddy Holly and the Crickets. On New Year's Day, 1962, Decca, looking for a Beat group, auditioned two promising young bands: Brian Poole and the Tremeloes and another combo (also heavily influenced by Buddy Holly) from Liverpool, the Beatles.

Decca chose Brian Poole and the Tremeloes over the Beatles, reportedly based on location – the Tremeloes were from the London area, making them more accessible than the Liverpool-based Beatles.[citation needed]

The original quintet consisted of lead vocalist Brian Poole, lead guitarist Rick West (born Richard Westwood), rhythm guitarist/keyboardist Alan Blakley, bassist Alan Howard and drummer Dave Munden.

Brian Poole and the Tremeloes first charted in the UK in July 1963 with a version of "Twist and Shout", a song previously popularised in America by the Isley Brothers, and already released by the Beatles in the UK in March 1963 on their first British LP, Please Please Me. Brian Poole and the Tremeloes followed "Twist and Shout" with a chart topping cover of the Contours' US million-seller "Do You Love Me" in the same year, in turn followed by "I Can Dance". The group also had success in the UK in 1964 with covers of Roy Orbison's B-side, "Candy Man" and a previously obscure Crickets' B-side ballad, "Someone, Someone"; both entered the UK Singles Chart Top Ten, with the latter peaking at no. 2. Other Decca-era chart singles included "Three Bells" and a version of "I Want Candy".

With Poole leaving to attempt a solo career (which proved unsuccessful) in 1966, the Tremeloes continued as a four-piece band with a revised line-up (Howard left the band in 1966). Len "Chip" Hawkes, father of 1990s hitmaker Chesney Hawkes, replaced Howard.

Their first single as a four piece was released on Decca and a cover of Paul Simon's song "Blessed", which failed to chart, but picked up some radio airplay.

After switching from Decca to CBS Records, with Mike Smith producing, The Tremeloes' first single on CBS was a cover of The Beatles Revolver song "Good Day Sunshine". This also failed to chart, but established a new image of a more contemporary group in tune with the times, which set them up for future continued chart singles as they then started a successful hit run from 1967 onwards with Cat Stevens' "Here Comes My Baby"; "Hello World"; three Italian hits translated into English: "Suddenly You Love Me", which is Riccardo Del Turco's "Uno tranquillo" ("One quiet man"), "I'm Gonna Try", which is Riccardo Del Turco's 1967 hit "Luglio" ("July"), and "My Little Lady", based on Orietta Berti's "Non illuderti mai" ("Never deceive yourself"); and their number one recording of an old Four Seasons' B-side "Silence Is Golden". Both this last single and "Here Comes My Baby" also entered the Top 20 of the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 on CBS' co-owned Epic Records.

All members shared vocals, though most of the songs featured either Hawkes or drummer Dave Munden as the lead singer. Guitarist Rick Westwood sang falsetto co-lead vocal with Hawkes' lower range vocal and group harmonies also featured on "Silence Is Golden". Their regular hits were accompanied by frequent appearances on BBC's Top of the Pops TV programme. Their songs were popular with younger music fans and parents rather than rock music fans, although their albums and 'B' sides included more rock-styled tracks such as band compositions "Try Me" and the instrumental "Instant Whip".

Their more commercial songs, such as "Even The Bad Times Are Good" (UK no. 4, 1967), "Heluele Helule" (UK no. 14, 1967), "Suddenly You Love Me" and "My Little Lady" (both UK no. 8 in 1968), proved to be more popular than the falsetto-led "Be Mine" sung by Rick Westwood, which stalled in the lower top 40, or a string accompanied cover of Bob Dylan's "I Shall Be Released" (UK no. 29, 1969), but the more ambitious group-composed "(Call Me) Number One" reached no. 2 in the UK in 1969. Altogether, without Poole the group had nine UK Top 20 hits.

Westwood and Blakley were dual lead guitarists with guitar/sitar and banjo, pedal steel guitar and keyboards featured on their songs. Hawkes could play drums in addition to bass guitar.

Their cover version of Jeff Christie's song "Yellow River" (sung by Dave Munden) was shelved at the time, but Christie's lead vocal set to their backing became a UK chart hit for Christie in 1970. The Tremeloes versions sung in both English and Spanish later were released on compact disc compilations.

Blakley-Hawkes composed much of their original material, mostly on albums and 'B' sides, then some later singles, while Munden and Westwood also made songwriting contributions.

"Me and My Life", written by Blakley-Hawkes, was a no. 4 UK chart hit in 1970, while "By the Way" reached no. 35 that year. Their album Master, which they released a few weeks later, failed to sell well, and they had no British hits after "Hello Buddy" (no. 32) in 1971.

Nevertheless, they recorded several more singles throughout the decade, with further chart singles in Europe, including "Blue Suede Tie" (no. 38 Germany), "Too Late to Be Saved" (no. 33 Germany), "Ride On" (no. 16 Germany), "It's OK (Say Ole If You Love Me)", and "Do I Love You", some of which received heavy airplay, particularly on Radio Luxembourg. "I Like It That Way" even made the Dutch Top 10, reaching no. 9 after the Dutch service of Radio North Sea International promoted it as its weekly Treiterschijf.

They also released another three albums of original material, Shiner (1974), Don't Let the Music Die (1975), with some copies being credited to a group Space on the record label although the Tremeloes' pictures were on the sleeve (this album was also credited to The Tremeloes on the cover and featured Dave Munden and Bob Benham plus Paul Carmen and Paul Issac making up the group), and All for One and One for All (1992).

Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
MacBook Pro  32 GB  1 Terabyte SSD
  •  

admin

Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: peterm

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n03g8nsaBro

"Silence Is Golden" is a song co-written by Bob Gaudio of the American rock band, The Four Seasons, with Bob Crewe. It was released as a B-side to the hit song "Rag Doll," in 1964. This song was originally made and sung by The Four Seasons.

It was later covered by the English band The Tremeloes, whose recording was a No. 1 hit in the UK Singles Chart on 18 May 1967,  staying at the top for a total of three weeks.  Guitarist Rick West sang lead vocal on "Silence Is Golden".

The Tremeloes single hit No. 11 in the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart  on the Epic label and was one of the top 100 songs of 1967. The track sold one million copies globally, earning gold disc status.  The Tremeloes also recorded an Italian version, "E in silenzio".

The song was also covered by Swedish singer Jim Jidhed in 1989.

admin

•  

Organplayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYgniftVxQ8

A complete set of this good song and remake
  •