ATC

Started by Ron Phillipchuk, March 30, 2017, 10:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Phillipchuk

ATC
 [ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]

1= Around the World
2= "I'm In Heaven (When You Kiss Me)"

A Touch of Class (originally known as ATC) was an international pop group based in Germany, although the four members each came from different countries  — Joseph "Joey" Murray (born July 5, 1974) from New Zealand, Sarah Egglestone (b. April 4, 1975) from Australia, Livio Salvi (b. January 25, 1977) from Italy, and Tracey Elizabeth Packham (b. July 30, 1977) from the United Kingdom. The pop group was active from 1999 to 2003 and peaked its popularity after release of "Around the World (La La La La La)" in 2000.

The four met together in Hamburg, Germany as cast members of the international Broadway theatre German production of the stage musical "Cats" within October 1997-April 1998.  Sarah Egglestone played Bombalurina, Livio Salvi played Mungojerrie, Tracey Packham played Syllabub, and Joey Murray played as Munkustrap/swing dancer. The four quickly became friends and decided to form a dance group. Egglestone noted, "We were there sitting watching television one day, seeing groups and saying 'there's no reason [...] why we can't do this.'"  The group first met with producers Alex Christensen and Thomas M. Stein in 1999 and began working on material.  The group experimented with merging male and female vocals together. "Producers don't seem to want to mix the voices so often [...] that helps give us that little bit of an edge," Murray remarked.

Their first single, "Around the World (La La La La La)" (which was an English cover of the song "Pesenka" by the Russian group Ruki Vverh!) was first released on May 9, 2000 and went number one in Germany for six weeks in summer 2000. It was later a Top 40 hit in the United Kingdom and United States. The song was in a television commercial for General Electric in the United States in early 2002.

Their debut album Planet Pop, featuring songs from Alex Christensen and Clyde Ward, was released on February 6, 2001 by Sony BMG Music Entertainment and Republic Records, for which they were awarded an ECHO for Best Dance Act. Similar-sounding follow-up singles were successful in parts of Europe, but A Touch of Class were mainly remembered for their first hit.

In 2003, the DJ and producer ATB successfully took the band's record label to court, and the band was forced to change their name from ATC to A Touch of Class.  Four singles were released from their second album Touch the Sky in 2003, but they did not match the success of their previous album, and the group members decided to go their separate ways.
  •  

montage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRvGZffXhfk

"Around the World (La La La La La)" is the debut single by German Eurodance group ATC (also known as A Touch of Class). The song is a cover of the Russian hit "Pesenka" by Ruki Vverh! and uses the song's melody with additional English lyrics.
The song is ATC's most successful single, reaching the top 20 in most countries where it was released.

"Around the World (La La La La La)" was first released as ATC's debut single from their debut album Planet Pop on May 9, 2000 in Europe, and on May 17, 2002 in the United Kingdom. It was produced and recorded by German producer Alex Christensen with its melody almost entirely based on "Pesenka". The single reached number one on the German Singles chart in 2000.  It also reached number one in Austria and Switzerland, the Top 20 in Australia, Belgium, Canada, the Netherlands, Finland, France, Italy, Sweden, United Kingdom, Denmark, Poland, Romania and Scotland. It reached #24 in the Irish Singles Chart.

The song was also a surprise one-hit wonder in the United States, peaking as high as number #28 on the US Billboard Hot 100 and stayed on the chart for several months. As a result, it was featured among the 2001 compilation album Now That's What I Call Music! 6, which further exposed ATC to a North American audience. However, because of scant promotion for the album and a lack of touring in the USA and Canada, follow-up singles failed to make any impact in North America.

In 2002, the song was released for the first time in the United Kingdom in a newly remixed version, peaking at number 15.
  •  

montage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C_6IFqTof4

ATC LYRICS
"I'm In Heaven (When You Kiss Me)"

You capture me with a stare
I'll follow you anywhere
You lead me into temptation
I guess you need to enjoy

I'm like a kid with a toy
I'm losing my concentration
One kiss from you and I'm on fire