Main Menu

InDeep

Started by admin, April 02, 2017, 01:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]

Indeep was a 1980s New York-based group that was best known for its song "Last Night a D.J. Saved My Life".

The group was led by its songwriter-musician Michael Cleveland, and it was known for employing a strong disco-esque bass line and early hip hop lyrics backed by two female singers: Réjane Magloire and Rose Marie Ramsey.

"Last Night a D.J. Saved My Life" was released on Sound of New York/Becket Records in 1982 and peaked in early 1983, reaching the top 10 on the US R&B and No. 2 on the US Club charts as well as the Top 3 in the Dutch Top 40 and the Top 15 in the UK,  and was certified for gold-level sales in France. The 12" mix was notable at the time for including a purely vocal mix, an instrumental mix plus a track of sound effects contained in the song such as a toilet flushing and a phone ringing. The aim was to encourage mixing in the emerging New York DJ scene of the early 1980s and elsewhere.

The follow-up single, "When Boys Talk", did not achieve the same level of success on either side of the Atlantic, which, combined with its limited later success, put the group into the one-hit wonders category. Vocalist Magloire later enjoyed some success with the Belgian techno-house outfit Technotronic. "Last Night a DJ Saved My Life" was later covered by Mariah Carey on her 2001 album Glitter, which reached No. 25 in Spain.

In the 1990s, Michael Cleveland did not perform as Indeep besides a 1997 New Year's show on TF1 French TV.

In 2011, Peter A. Mercury, who published, managed, produced and toured with many top artists for many years convinced Cleveland to reform the band. Magloire and Ramsey were replaced by Beckie Bell and WiX.

Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
MacBook Pro  32 GB  1 Terabyte SSD
  •  

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtfZbj4J71A

"Last Night a D.J. Saved My Life" is a song written by Michael Cleveland for American group Indeep. It features vocals from Réjane "Reggie" Magloire and Rose Marie Ramsey.

The lyrics tell the story of a woman who is bored alone at home. She wants to speak to her man, but cannot reach him and considers leaving him, until a DJ plays a hot song and thereby saves her life. In the second verse, she leaves home, but does not reach her destination. The sound of squeaky wheels suggests she has an accident, but is saved by a DJ playing a good song on the radio.

The song was mixed by Tony Humphries and released as a single in 1982, becoming the most popular and successful hit released by its record label, Sound of New York/Becket Records. In the U.S. "Last Night a D.J. Saved My Life" reached number ten on the R&B/Hip-Hop Singles chart and number two on the Club Singles chart. In February 1983 it peaked at number thirteen in the United Kingdom, and in March 1983 at number two in the Dutch Top 40 and the Belgium Ultratop 50. The track appears as the third track of the namesake album released in 1983.

Rolling Stone magazine declared the song "one of the greatest songs ever written about being a girl, listening to the radio, or any combination of the two,"  and, in 2005, editors of Blender magazine placed it at number 406 on its 500 Greatest Songs Since You Were Born list. The song also provided the inspiration of the title of the book Last Night a DJ Saved My Life: The History of the Disc Jockey (2000).

Because of the limited success of Indeep's later releases, the group's first single was its only major hit and placed it into the one-hit wonder category of artists.
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
  •  

admin

Last night a DJ saved my life X9
  •