Leslie Gore

Started by admin, April 01, 2017, 08:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]

Lesley Sue Goldstein (May 2, 1946 – February 16, 2015), known professionally as Lesley Gore, was an American singer, songwriter, actress, and activist. At the age of 16 (in 1963) she recorded the pop hit "It's My Party", and followed it up with other hits including "Judy's Turn to Cry", "She's a Fool", "You Don't Own Me", "Maybe I Know" and "California Nights".

Gore also worked as an actress and composed songs with her brother, Michael Gore, for the 1980 film Fame, for which she was nominated for an Academy Award. She hosted an LGBT-oriented public television show, In the Life, on American TV in the 2000s, and was active until 2014.

She was born Lesley Sue Goldstein in Brooklyn, New York City,  into a Jewish family, the daughter of Leo and Ronny Gore. Her father was the owner of Peter Pan, a children's swimwear and underwear manufacturer,  and later became a leading brand licensing agent in the apparel industry.  She was raised in Tenafly, New Jersey,  and was a junior at the Dwight School for Girls in nearby Englewood when she recorded her 1963 cover of "It's My Party" with Quincy Jones and it became a number-one, nationwide hit. Gore's version sold over one million copies and was certified as a gold record.  It also marked the beginning of a time when fans would show up on her front lawn.
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
MacBook Pro  32 GB  1 Terabyte SSD
  •  

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Uo1nNt6LU

"It's My Party" is a pop song recorded by multiple artists since the 1960s. In 1963, American singer Lesley Gore's version hit #1 on the pop and rhythm and blues charts in the United States.  It was the first hit single for producer Quincy Jones.

The song lyrically portrays the discomfiture of a teenage girl at her birthday party when her boyfriend Johnny disappears, only to surface in the company of Judy, another girl, who is "wearing his ring," to indicate she's replaced the birthday girl as his love interest.

The song's chorus, "It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to... You would cry too if it happened to you!" became a part of American pop cultural language as a phrase used to describe being utterly humiliated and miserable during an event that is supposed to be a happy occasion.

"It's My Party" is in the key of A major.  The song's effectiveness is enhanced by several musical touches producer Quincy Jones incorporated, including Latin-sounding rhythms, double tracked vocals and effective horn parts.  Allmusic critic Jason Ankeny wrote of the song, "'It's My Party' remains one of the most vivid evocations of adolescent heartbreak ever waxed — Quincy Jones produced the record, although you'd swear it was Aaron Spelling instead."
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.
  •  

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWCMhL5qxlE

"You Don't Own Me" is a popular song written by Philadelphia songwriters John Madara and David White and recorded by Lesley Gore in 1963, when Gore was 17 years old.

The song was Gore's second most successful recording and her last top-ten single. On November 27, 2016, the Grammy Hall of Fame announced its induction, along with that of another 24 songs.

admin

•